While assigned in Africa, Joe and his wife Marissa longed for a place in the states to hang their hats while on home leave. Proximity to friends and family lead them to the largest lake in Maryland, Deep Creek. A year after their first Deep Creek property was purchased, Joe put it on the market himself and realized there was an incredible demand in the area for vacation rental properties.
After some wild adventures purchasing foreclosures and renovating sight unseen properties completely from abroad, Joe and Marissa founded Silver Paddle Investments, a business focused on purchasing, renovating, and managing properties in the Deep Creek area. Joe also partnered with his real estate agent and co-founded Cabine Custom Homes, which builds new construction homes in Deep Creek.
In this interview, Joe discusses:
- How looking for a home leave vacation property turned into an incredibly successful side business
- The trials and tribulations of doing business remotely
- Building your network and team and sourcing vendors while abroad
- Vacation rental market dos and don’ts and advice for those who are considering getting into vacation homes now
- How to manage a business while working for the government full-time and still have a great family life
… and much more!
Music: “Higher Up” by Shane Ivers