CNN producer Stephanie Genkin found herself on the frontlines of the financial crisis in 2007-2008 and witnessed the financial world crumble. As people lost their jobs, homes, and businesses, she kept thinking, “what if that was me?” This deep question became the springboard for Stephanie’s mid-life career leap from veteran journalist to financial planner. Since then, her holistic financial practice has flourished, with a unique focus on not just the math, but also the human side of the money equation.
Hear Stephanie discuss:
- How people outside of your immediate circle of friends and family can provide unique insights and perspectives into your strengths
- why we don’t see more women and minorities in finance
- Should you mix emotion and money? Is it even possible to separate them?
- Why banks are like cocaine dealers
- The “thousands of voices” influencing your money decisions
- How invisible money scripts may influence us without our knowledge and how to recognize and change deeply ingrained money behaviors
…and so much more!
Stephanie Genkin, CFP® is the founder of My Financial Planner, LLC, a New York State Registered Investment Advisor. A veteran journalist, Stephanie is the financial planner behind the Yahoo! Finance digital makeover series Fix My Finances and teaches investing fundamentals at New York University. Before training to becoming a financial advisor, Stephanie was an editorial producer at CNN for 15 years and worked with the network’s Chief Business Correspondent. She holds a B.A. with honors in Journalism and Hebrew Literature from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and received masters degrees in Modern Jewish History and Middle Eastern Studies from the University of Oxford, St. Antony’s College in the U.K. She was a Fulbright scholar in Amman, Jordan.
Music: “Higher Up” by Shane Ivers